Sunday, 6 December 2009

Jme and Pearlfisher

As I was browsing Design Week I noticed that Jamie Oliver had recently won the Client of the Year Award at the annual Design Week Benchmarks awards the other night. Judges described some of the products as "beautifully crafted, interesting and strong". Here are some of the products in his range, designed by agency Pearlfisher...




As a result of this article I went onto the Pearlfisher website to discover that it is this agency that designs some of my personal favourite food and drink packaging out on the highstreet. These products are also some of the most iconic food and drink brands out there, certainly an impressive portfolio to have to your name. Here are some other brands you may recognise that Pearlfisher also design for...


I love the handmade, recycled qualities they use, following their theme of ethical packaging. I also love the bold colours and sharp quirky typography they use, which seems a particularly dominant part of their design. It's no surprise Pearlfisher create mammoth profit increases for the brands they design for, these pieces of packaging stand out a mile from others on the shelf in a whole class of their own.

x


http://www.designweek.co.uk/
http://www.pearlfisher.com


5 comments:

  1. Wow this is awesome I didn't realise that the packaging for Jordan's, This Water, Green & Blacks AND Absolut were done by the same agency! I love all those designs, they're so clean and simple, really play on the whole 'friendly' feel of the brands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's a bit of a super agency! The Absolut bottles are some of my favourites. I think these are also prime examples of showing how majority typography and minimal imagery can be highly effective if used in the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who did a project on Jordan's. Where were you blogging last year Ali? Green & Blacks never fail do they.

    The smoothie genre of design like this usually annoys me how often it's used. But I guess there's a reason it's so widely used. It's works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of the 'Jme' logo for Jamie Oliver, I think it really translates his easy going, friendly persona across to the range of products which makes them easily recognisable and memorable. Supermarket shelves are so often loaded with information, ingredients, RDA's, that the simplicity is quite refreshing. But I do agree with Nathan, in that there are more and more products taking this line of approach now, is it going to become too much of a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was only the other day whilst I was munching on some Jordan's Strawberry Country Crisp (yum!) that I really had a good look at the packaging - every time I see it in the shops it always grabs my attention and I love the friendly feel to the packaging - also great to know this company have succeeded in producing so many fantastic packaging designs - I especially love the 'This Water' and 'Raw' designs too - I have to agree they have a homemade feel and are quite endearing.

    ReplyDelete